American Couture

While trolling the internet for inspiration (thats ALL I EVER DO ANYMORE) I couldn't help but become enchanted by the works of Charles James.


He was America's first couturier who was most popular during the 1950's.
His beginnings were similar to those of Coco Chanel- he began as a milliner in Chicago, and in 1928 he left with only 70 cents and a couple of hats for New York to become a dress maker.
Women fell in love with his dresses, and soon he began to have his own shows, which followed no season or time or style.

I was pretty much googling the shit out of every evening wear designer, and when google images provided this photograph I fell in love.
I bet this photo served as inspiration for that Juicy perfume ad:


I envy the timeless look of these dresses, they look like they belong in a painting.