I don't know anything about decorating but I sure do know a thing or two about free stuff, basement treasure hunting and finding free things on the street.
In our last apartment, one of my roommates did 99% of the decorating.
So this time around was really my first experience with decorating...I mean making it work with whatever anyone would give me.
Here's a sneak peak of what it looks like so far:
The first night I spent in our Taj Mahal I was actually scared to death and my walls were bare so I ended up hanging some pretty dresses on the crown moldings to make the bare walls seem less bare. They're still hanging! And now I'm sleeping BUT STILL SCARED TO DEATH ARTI PLEASE COME BACK
Every place I live I try to make my dresser the prettiest surface.
I got the candelabra for $10 when I was scouring antique stores for items I actually needed, it houses some of my favorite jewelry and my lip stain.
I literally just hung my necklaces on nails above my dresser, I hate when they get tangled and I need everything to be on display or else I won't wear it.
I also need four different kinds of moisturizer. Sorry, just rationalizing.
I love everything hanging above my bed!!! Some frames are from antique stores, some are from home, but they're all filled with things and places I love. The little ledge houses my matryoshka doll Shmush that was a good souvenir from an awful trip and a little bird figurine Eric got for me
Our kitchen table was given to me by my Aunt, I have so many memories of doing crafts on it when I was a kid. Now that it's ours, I guess I'll still be doing crafts but I'll also be doing lots and lots of shots.
The adorable bear was found by Arti and the frame displays an upside down photo of the Orchid Room at Longwood gardens.
Our futon came from a friend of Julie's and is swathed in Arti's textiles from India
These four postcard frames came in a package at target- $5!
The postcards are some of my favorite pieces at the Met.
That shelf was free, found outside our apartment! The TV was won on a facebook bidding war and is the perfect mount for my soccer trophy (I PLAYED SPORTS SEE?).
The religious candles are a throwback to BBT (and a necessity).
The chair came from my basement and the beautiful embroidered shawl and elephant tapestry are from India courtesy of Arti!
This entire display cost $3!
The big mirror in the center I found in my dining room at home behind our china cabinet. My mom was like YOU CAN'T TAKE THAT WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT and I was like MOM RELAX YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WE OWNED THIS and she was like yeah okay just take it BUT I'M WATCHING YOU.
The two smaller ones were also from home, the cats were $3 in an antique store on Bedford, the wooden block print was found on the street and the old picture is my Nuna and her sister!
I found this purse on the street- the clasp is broken but its still perfect for holding our mail! And I fond this cute colored pencil piece of art in my basement, I'm very sure my mother made it. I wish it said "home is where you walk around naked"
Our built-in shows off all our fancy wine glasses and steins and water glasses and pretty plates
Business cards, mile-long Ikea receipts, Bedford Hill drink coupons and an endearing note from a friend
*please not that these pictures were all strategically taken to avoid all the boxes that have taken over my apartment*
Now that we're almost done decorating, I smell a housewarming party....