Even though my life goal is pretty much to never wear the same outfit twice, there are so many go-to pieces in my wardrobe that I can slip on in 5 minutes and accessorize them differently each time to achieve a unique look.
I feel like I'm cheating! But I always get compliments on these items and it makes me want to wear them even more.
It's great to invest in fun, special, super-trendy clothing, belieeeeeeeve me I have plenty of those items! But I find the pieces that have the most longevity in my closet are black...and I guess leopard print!
Thats why it's great to invest in accessories- eccentrically patterned scarves, bold jewelry, a fun colored bag.
It's better to invest trend-wise in accessories and keep your clothing to timeless silhouettes.
Here's my top 5!
Number 1: Leopard Bustier
| Leopard bustier, forever 21. |
If this was anyone else's top 5, this piece definitely wouldn't belong!
Leopard print is by far my favorite pattern, it's foxy and flirty and timeless.
I've worn this over black skinnies with boots to go out on the weekends, and under a comfy back deep-v sweater to go to class. It's sexy and stylish, and it's definitely one of my used and abused items!
I can't say that this was an "investment" piece, it's definitely a trend. But I kind of hope I'm still wearing it in 5 years!
Number 2: Black Maxi with Asymmetrical Hem
| Jersey Maxi Dress, Vintage |
This is my ultimate "I'm a fashion bitch" dress.
It's a basic silhouette in a basic black, I can wear it any season, it goes with any accessory, looks great with my Jcams or with flip flops.
It's super flattering, and I know people are really checking out my outfit when they comment on the asymmetric hem!
I also love how the neckline is the same in the front and the back.
Sexy and understated!
Number 3: Leopard Pencil Skirt
| Leopard Pencil Skirt, H&M |
We live in the era of Kim Kardashian, Eva Mendes, Amber Rose, and this is how you work it!
This skirt is ridiculous- I bought it at an H&M in Washington DC- definitely a spontaneous purchase!
I brought it home and wanted to die. What did I do? How will I wear this?
Little did I know, throw on a t-shirt and leggings and FUCKING UGGGS and look like a superstar!
And that's literally how I wear it.
WORK IT.
Number 4: The Red Dress
| Red dress, Lord and Taylor |
Every fashion magazine says you need a little black dress.
Duh! Everyone who's ever seen Breakfast at Tiffany's knows that rule.
Here's my rule: Everyone needs a red dress.
Everyone looks good in black, and everyone looks even better in red.
Boys love a girl in a red dress.
And this one is perfect.
It's a tomatoey-red that looks perfect against tanned summer skin, and its in the most timeless fit-and-flare shape.
I got it for $25 last summer and I think I've already worn it 50 times.
I will definitely have this dress forever!
Number 5: Half Circle Skirt
| cotton-spandex skirt, American Apparel |
This entire blog post is dedicated to this item.
It has been out to date night, worn to family parties, pool parties. I've ran around campus in just this skirt and a bikini top. This skirt got me through three winters.
This skirt sits in the front of my closet, ready to grab whenever I'll need it, which definitely once a week!
Hell, I go to fashion school, and I wore this skirt three days in a row and no one noticed.
This skirt is the best investment I've ever made.
If you don't know what love is, please buy this skirt and you'll finally understand.
By the way, this entire blog post was inspired by my favorite blog, The Coveteur.
Check it out here.